Tuesday, July 1, 2014

2 New Interviews (Cosas and Express) + 2 New Pictures from The Rover LA Press Junket

Looks like these interviews are from the same roundtable interview as The Manila Bulletin, Telegraph UK, The Philippine Dailyand Star Online, but with some new quotes.

We used Google translate in both interviews in this post and the answers that had almost the same quote as one posted before, we chose the quote from one of the interviews posted in English and not translated. The others that have (Google translate) are the ones that had something new in the answer.

And 2 new pictures from the press junket




From Cosas.com
- What have you learned since the end of the saga "Twilight"?
- It feels like it’s longer, to be honest… it’s all just been a gradual progression. I think, as you get older, like every movie you do you get a little bit more confident… (Manila Bulletin)

- And how can you face the madness of the public against your person?
- I’m curious how people receive the new stuff I’m doing because it’s kind of, you know, I do quite abstract films. So I am curious how people who like ‘Twilight’ will come to see things like ‘The Rover.’ Hopefully, they’ll enjoy it.(Manila Bulletin)

- Why did you choose a genre so different?
- 50 percent is about being able to work with directors I admire. I think about that a lot but I find it more comfortable to do small roles if I am choosing something for its director. But if you are doing a lead, I try to do something, which I think will precipitate into my normal life. I want to do something which I feel (is) totally impossible for me to do. I think it will make me a bigger person in my real life afterwards. I kind of try to do that. (Manila Bulletin)

- Where do you live now?
- I spent two months in England last year which is the longest I’ve spent there in six years, which was nice, but I always go back to England at Christmas time and get so depressed that I’m glad to get back to Los Angeles. I’ve really grown to like L.A and I guess it’s my home at the moment. (Telegraph)

- You're not living in your mansion?
- I sold it, and then I realized that I had become homeless (laughs). For 6 months, I have lived in the homes of friends that I go with my three air mattresses. I sold my house, because I'm too young to be dealing with plumbing problems and stuff like that (laughs). I could live in a cell if it had a window. (Google translate)

-I read that you were very nervous when I auditioned for "The Rover". How do you handle anxiety?
- I would love to go into therapy but it makes me too anxious. I have talked to a lot of people about it. I like my anxiety in a funny way. I like my peaks and troughs. I used to get such crippling anxiety before auditions that, every time I did, I’d want to quit acting after. So it would be physically painful. The audition process was so long. It was like a four-hour audition. For the first 45 minutes of walking into almost any room, I had to deal with my own neuroses before I could do any kind of acting. I think David recognized that. If you let yourself calm down, then you’re fine afterward. (The Philippine Daily)

-After filming such a dark and apocalyptic as "The Rover" movie, do you plan to have children one day?
- I believe that humanity remains the same, generation after generation. And all those who predict that the world is ending, have not been right. I think that man is basically good, and I wouldn't have problems in having children, but maybe I'm answering my ignorance as well. I live a very simple life swimming in my pool all day (more laughter). (Google translate - another answer to that question slightly different here)

- Are you really not afraid of global warming and its consequences?
-I have a blind faith in humanity and I think people won't change. It's very difficult to accept that during my generation our species will become extinct. I think in the end, most will see the light and have a happy ending. People don't like good news, bad prefer that sell more newspapers. Predicting the end don't produce results; however, if you hope, maybe we can achieve something. (Google translate)

-When you choose a movie, what you want in the story?
- I don’t really [regard] it from the perspective of the stories; it’s really more of the character stuff. I never really look at a script as a whole. I’m doing this movie (‘Idol’s Eye’) with Olivier Assayas at the end of the year. It’s a big ensemble thing. But I know exactly what my character’s about. There is something specific about it. It’s new, especially in a gangster movie. It’s an interesting take on a criminal’s psychology. (The Philippine Daily)

- How did it feel filming "The Rover" in Australia?
- I liked Australia. I had only been to Sydney just to do press before. Working in the Outback was a totally different world, but I loved it out there. It was beautiful, kind of serene being able to see the horizon. There’s just absolutely nothing for miles, hundreds of miles. (Star Online)

- What did you like best?
- Not only were there no people trying to find you, there was no one there at all so it was much easier to concentrate on your performance and not have to worry about someone trying to sneak up on you. I found it incredibly peaceful and relaxing. (Star Online)

- What is the worst thing that happened to you with the paparazzi?
-Once, I was followed by about eight cars for ten hours, not knowing what to do. They wanted to know where I lived, and I tried to mislead them. (Google translate)

- How do you deal with fame?
- From the beginning I have dissociated from it. Just see it as part of the job. Some years ago, I had a bit of a struggle because my life really contracted and I couldn’t do a lot of the stuff I used to be able to do, but once I got through that a year or two ago I just accepted my life is something else and now I can’t really remember what it was like before, So it’s much easier to deal with. (Google translate and Telegraph)

- What are the advantages?
- Meeting people—it’s so crazy sometimes. I was in London recently and in some place, David Beckham walked through. He was like, ‘Hey, man!’ It was so crazy. I am still like a little child in terms of that. (The Philippine Daily)

- Did you always want to act?
- I wasn't a child actor or anything. I didn't have drama classes at school. When I turned 15 I joined a drama club, because of a girl I liked. I worked as a scriptwriter, I never had intentions to act. They staged the play "Guys and Dolls" and then I had a mad desire to embody the character Nathan Detroit, I became obsessed. I didn't get the role, but I ended up playing a Cuban dancer. Then in the play "Our Town" by Thorton Wilder, I was given the lead role; there was an agent in the audience who asked me to represent me. Then I did "Vanity Fair" with Reese Witherspoon and after "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" where I played Cedric Diggory. (Google translate)

- What kind of movies do you like?
- I've been a movie buff since my teens, and even before. When I choose scripts, I don't care that my part is small, as when I worked ten days with Werner Herzog. But to distract myself I look at everything. (Google translate)

- How you glimpse your future career?
- I don't know. I was never guided by what the public wants or what the critics say; you can't please everyone. What makes me happiest is to work with people that have a passion for their films like Werner Herzog or David Cronenberg, or Michod. Since I was 16 I've been wanting to work with Herzog. I want to continue doing ambitious projects that excite me, although I don't know if the public will share my interests. I'm not interested in becoming "a Hollywood star." (Google translate)

- What do you think of David Cronenberg?
- When I went in "Cosmopolis" something changed in my mind and I knew that would make any movie with him in the future, without even reading the script. I like how he faces his movies and life, he's a very wise person. I am happy to have worked with David on "Maps to the Stars" (Google translate)

- Can you describe your role?
- My role (in it) is a kind of cipher for Bruce Wagner who wrote it and because he used to be a limo driver in LA. He wrote a lot of stuff and got many of his ideas from that so he is the one vaguely normal person in ‘Maps to the Stars’ but he’s kind of a little bit opportunistic. He is a wannabe actor and writer but probably not that talented. He’s like a hustler in LA. (Manila Bulletin)

- Will you be the new Indiana Jones?
- I [notice that] every few months, someone comes up with a story specifically with the intention of having 50 bad replies on Twitter. All these people saying, ‘Robert is ruining my dreams’ (laughing). I didn’t even know they were rebooting ‘Indiana Jones’ until someone asked me about it. (The Philippine Daily)

- Do you consider yourself a happy and lucky man?
I am extremely lucky, which always makes me a little bit nervous, I don’t quite know why I got so lucky. It’s just ridiculous. I’m pretty happy. (The Philippine Daily)

-If this was the last day of your life, what would you do?
I might like to just walk around the Times Square naked or something (laughs). (The Philippine Daily)

From Express.de (only 3 questions have "something new" when translated with Google translate. So here they are)

Where do you live now?
I was homeless for six months after the sale (of his house). I borrowed houses from people when they were not in the city. Now I've found a home in the Hollywood Hills that I rent. It's not too big. I barely have furniture. Some of them are from the previous tenant. The only thing I brought with me, are air mattresses. In which I sleep.

You have earned millions and can afford expensive equipment.
I'm not materialistic. The only thing I treat myself, are old guitars. I have 17 in my collection. My showpiece is a 1943 Gibson J100 acoustic guitar. I don't care about other things such as designer clothes. However, I should go out to buy clothes.

Why?
I can not find most of them. That's why I wear the jacket I'm wearing, continuously for the past two weeks. My stuff should be in a box in a rental warehouse in Los Angeles or in my London apartment. I rather think the latter. I've just seen pictures of my old roommate Tom Sturridge, running around in my pants and shirt ... (laughs).

Pictures: 1 | 2 - thanks to Lau for the links :)

2 comments:

zsuzsip said...

Thank You for this nice interview,as usual Rob looks yummy!

Unknown said...

lovely interview and frankly speaking from heart,wonderful

coimbatore wedding decorators